ROPER INAGURATES SECRET PRACTICE AT PRINCETON

Gorman Runs Rings Around Scrubs in Fast Scrimmage--Veterans Given Another Rest

Coach Roper deviated from his usual custom at this point in the season by closing the doors of the Palmer Stadium, and inaugurating strictly maintained secret practice. It is expected that he will continue these closed work-outs through-out the season, except that the student body will be admitted on one day of each week's practice. The custom of issuing special blue pass slips to the undergraduates will not be continued this year.

During the session Tuesday the coaching staff emphasized the correction of the loose team-play evidenced in the Swarthmore game. Coaches Roper and Glick gave the backs and ends a long practice at making and breaking up interference; and the linemen were sent through a protracted work-out at locking and breaking through. Later backs and ends worked on the defense against the forward pass, in order to remedy the defects brought to light in the defense against Swarthmore's attack at the clos of last Saturday's game.

The first team entered its first scrimmage of the week, and, minus three of four of the supposedly first-string players, routed the scrubs, gaining consistently on the offense and keeping the scrubs attack well in hand. Gorman, a star of the 1923 backfield, showed to very good advantage in Lourie's position at quarterback, tossing a forward to Gilroy after three plays after the kick-off. Throughout the scrimmage Gorman was a thorn in the scrubs side, breaking loose for 25-yard runs, or feinting only to toss forwards to the equally speedy Gilroy or McPhee. The second touchdown he scored himself, tearing loose after snaring a pass from Stinson and running 30 yards through a broken field to the line. The scrubs, with several ineligibles on their roster, notably Pixley, a transfer from Ohio State, have been putting up a stiffer opposition with each day of scrimmage. Several of the starters against Swarthmore were given another respite, among them Captain Callaban, Keck and Rutan from the line, and Louric, Wittmer, Murrey and Thomson from the backfield. The latest line-up; Ends, Raymond and Davis; tackles, Upson and Hooper; guards, Towers and Speers; center, Taylor; quarterback, German; halfbacks, Garrity and Gilroy; fullback, Selteerer.