SHELDON AT UNION TOMORROW

Commissioner From Australia to Speak on Treatment of Labor Problems on the Island Republic

Tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock in the Union, Mark Sheldon, Australian Commissioner to the United States, will address a meeting, open to all members of the Union, on the subject of "Australian Problems." Mr. Sheldon will deal especially with the labor situation in Australia, on which he is a noted authority, and will point out the progress made in that country toward making its workers the best treated in the world.

Mr. Sheldon, during his long stay in this country, has become one of the most conspicuous representatives of the East. He is well-known for the statistics of the war which he compiled, and for his chairmanship of the Australian Repatriation Commission.

Mr. Sheldon will present his views on the different aspects of the labor situation, particularly in regard to the open shop, collective bargaining and compulsory arbitration. He is a strong defender of the first two principles, but believes that the last does more to cultivate the striking habit than to restrain it. He lays this fault principally to the impossibility of enforcing the strike-prevention law. While America is in a stage of industrial upheaval, Australia has already gone through this development, and in Mr. Sheldon's speech its experience should be valuable in the settling of problems here.