REVIVING PLATTSBURG

Universal military training as an important question is a matter of past history; what little enthusiasm for it remained after the war was dampened by the emphatic refusal of the country even to consider it. Voluntary military training, however, is still a matter of interest. A movement has originated in Boston to revive the Plattsburg idea in New England at least, if not in all the nine army corps areas, subject, of course, to the approval of the War Department; and, because of a consequent addition to the army budget the approval of Congress also. For dozens of city workers, Plattsburg meant a healthy, out-door vacation among men with whom they had much in common. If the expense is not outrageously great there is no reason why Congress should withhold its permission to continue the arrangement.

In detail the plan calls for camps, lasting four or five weeks in June and July, located if possible at the former training centers in nine army corps areas, which like Camp Devens are at the present moment lying almost deserted. Men under twenty are especially desired but ex-Plattsburgers will insist that anybody be eligible so long as he is enthusiastic. Perhaps 50,000 men will be taught the fundamentals of military training by reserve officers, who are thus offered an opportunity to polish up their knowledge by actual practice.

Of course this plan will meet opposition, especially from those who are terrified at the slightest sign of militarism. But if enough old Plattsburg men, in addition to the hundreds who are at present taking military training in the R. O. T. C. corps, support the movement, Congress will approve of their desire, and give them the chance to gather once again, a little superior to the crowd of rookies, at the old camping ground.