YALE TAKES DEFINITE STEPS TOWARD COLLEGIATE POLO

Excellent Facilities Available at New Haven Augur Probable Rapid Development of Sport--Plans for Team to Represent the University

According to a recent article in the Yale News, Yale appears to be taking positive steps forward toward collegiate polo. Already she has scheduled the West Point Cadet Polo team, which has shown up well during the past year, and the New York National Guard Cavalry team. A great deaf should be expected of Yale for making some progress in this direction as her facilities are practically complete. She should have few or no handicaps of any considerable importance as her local facilities were made before the war when they little realized when they would eventually be put to such use. Before the war, when the country's attention was turned toward making good soldiers and emergency officers to lead them, Yale built an Armory and riding hall with stables at a combined cost of approximately $175,000. These were used then primarily in their efforts to train artillery men.

Since the war the government has made every encouragement toward equitation instruction for the mounted branches of the service that have R. O. T. C. Units where facilities are available for caring for mounts; going eventually to the extent of supplying the small type horse suitable for polo. Yale has acquired approximately twenty of these mounts somewhat superior to the type available at the government purchase price. The additional funds going toward the purchase of the better type came mainly through the good efforts of an outside generous enthusiast.

Government Will Cooperate

The government offers at present to those colleges where facilities are available, approximately 21 ponies. They have not been acquired at Harvard due this time to lack of facilities. For the past year and a half the main activities of the Military Department have been carried on in temporary accommodation in the National Guard Armory on Commonwealth avenue. Students who have taken the courses in Military Science and Equitation have made excellent progress in riding and would, no doubt, if ponies were available, give an excellent account of themselves at polo. Were we organized and equipped for the playing material that we have we should be anxious to meet Yale in this excellent sport. No other requires more daring and keenness.

A great deal is yet to be learned, no doubt, in the development of college polo. First of all it appears beyond all apprehension that it is possible. Leland Stanford on the west coast appears now to be leading in their efforts towards polo and has put a great deal into the work and has directed a great deal of the mounted instruction toward perfecting a fair college polo team. An attempt is being made to acquire proper facilities enabling Harvard too, in the near future in the event of successful efforts, to come forward as one of the early colleges adopting the sport.