DR. SOUTHARD DIES SUDDENLY

EMINENT NEUROPATHOLOGIST WAS AUTHORITY ON DISEASES OF THE MIND.

Dr. Elmer Ernest Southard, Bullard Professor of Neuropathology, died in New York on Sunday, February 8, after a brief illness. Dr. Southard was born July 28, 1876, and graduated from Harvard in 1897. After completing the medical course in 1901 he studied in Germany and England, and then returned to Harvard as instructor in neuropathology. At the time of his death he was Director of the Massachusetts Psychiatric Institute as well as Bullard Professor in the Medical School. He received the honorary degree of D. Sc. from George Washington University in 1917, was President of American Medico Psychological Association, and was a member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He was also President of the Boston Society of Psychiatry and Neurology, and Chief Consultant in Neuropsychiatry for the New England Department of the U. S. Public Health Service.

The funeral will be held in Appleton Chapel Thursday at 12 o'clock. Dr. Crothers will conduct the services.

Appreciation by Prof., R. B. Perry.

Dr. Southard's peculiar distinction lay in an extraordinay fecundity of mind combined with a genuine passion for social betterment. He was an intimate friend and pupil of the late Professor Royce, and for many years co-operated in the latter's Seminary of Logic. At the time of his death he was conducting a course in psychopathology in the Department of Philosophy and Psychology. With this more theoretical interest was united a close attention to the organic aspects of mental disease, and the relation of autopsy findings to the mental symptoms shown by the patient during his confinement in the hospital. At the time of his death he had nearly completed a comprehensive study and classification of the problems of social service, especially emphasizing the needs of psychiatric social work. In this connection also he defined the province of Social Psychiatry, as distinguished from social psychology.

Professor Southard's loss will be the more irreparable because of his unusual power to stimulate the productiveness and enthusiasm of those about him. He was able to communicate to others something of his own almost limitless energy. He has left behind him many organizations and groups of younger men who will long find their chief inspiration in his memory.