PORTO RICO ISSUES CALL FOR AMERICAN TEACHERS

University Appointment Office Will Supply Full Information as to Positions Offered.

The Department of Education of Porto Rico has a number of vacancies open which it desires to fill with members of the graduating class of the University or persons already employed in teaching in the United States. These positions do not come under the Civil Service, and, inasmuch as selections for appointment are made by the Commissioner of Education of Porto Rico based upon educational qualifications and teaching experience, care should be taken in making applications with a view of setting forth complete information as to these requirements.

According to law, teachers of English must be graduates of a first-class high school, normal school, college, or university, or else must be teachers of extended experience holding high-grade certificates from some state of the Union. Teachers of English are usually assigned to upper grade work in grammar schools and should be prepared to teach the following subjects: English reading and grammar, arithmetic, American history, civil government, geography, physiology, music, drawing, and free-arm system of writing. A knowledge of Spanish is not necessary, but it is a valuable asset. The salary is $90 a month for the term of term months beginning for the year 1920-21 on August 30 and closing June 17. Only American citizens can be appointed to the teaching service in Porto Rico.

Church and State Distinct.

There is absolute separation of Church and State in Porto Rico. The prevailing religion is Catholic although the Protestant denominations maintain churches in practically all of the municipalities, and each teacher is allowed to follow his own religious convictions.

Appointments are made by the Commissioner of Education of Porto Rico, but the details are handled by the Bureau of Insular Affairs, War Department, Washington, D. C. Further information may be obtained at the Appointment Office, University 11.