THE CALL.

Social service for college men is the great link which connects them in a practical way with the outside world. The criticism of college and college men has often been that they form a community apart, sufficient unto itself; that they hold themselves aloof from problems of the day and only concern themselves with these theoretically and rather superficially. Hence the college graduate has not always the broad vision and understanding that might be expected.

Social service brings him directly into contact with the industrial world. He comes to know, through practical experience, the mode of life and the problems of what might be called the proletariat. The world in its perplexed state is sorely in need of men with understanding, with broad views, with experience and knowledge of labor problems. There is nothing so effective to promote this end as Social Service.

Mr. Bullard of Phillips Brooks House has pointed out the alarming decrease in such work among the undergraduates since the war. This is quitting on the job. The crisis, far from being over, is but just developing. Duty must not be shirked now. College men are needed, and college men should answer the call.