STUDENTS WARNED OF SWINDLERS

Many Fraudulent Solicitors Have Been at Work About the University.

Because of the large number of articles of clothing, watches, jewelry, etc., reported stolen from many students' rooms lately, the police authorities have issued a warning against all solicitors who seek trade, subscriptions, or "votes" from members of the University. From the thefts described and other evidence, it is probable that bogus book-agents and men ostensibly seeking "votes" and other aid in obtaining fictitious scholarships are at the bottom of the trouble.

Several men have told of being accosted by agents selling goods claimed to be smuggled into the country, and so cheaper than usual, while others complain of men pleading for recommendation for scholarships to put them through college, and temporary financial assistance. Often they enter through open doors and choose their spoils at leisure. For this reason students are advised to keep their doors locked and their valuables out of sight.

If any men are troubled or robbed by these swindlers, they are requested to report the matter to the watchmen, with a description of the man they suspect, if possible.