BEER AND THE CONSTITUTION.

A certain paragrapher has aptly pointed out that the problem of "concurrent legislation" resolves itself into the question whether "concurrent" implies a blending together, as with gin and vermouth, or one sovereign, as with whiskey and soda. A New Jersey court has decided in favor of whiskey and soda, and Governor Coolidge, with a firmness that brings a tear to dry eyes, and a lump to dry throats, yet withal wisely, has declined to dissent from the opinion.

The committee of labor leaders which has condemned the attitude of the governor on this question, holds sentiments on the beer and wine question which have been echoed throughout the country on the stump, in the papers, and at the polls. But no one has attempted to confute the obvious logic of the governor's veto message. "Massachusetts," says Coolidge, "can not be a party to nullification"--can not "take a chance on the Constitution," and must not take the initiative in nullifying legislation, which is the law of the land until declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

The Volstead Act is a law. However much we may object to its provisions, we cannot sanction its disregard by the States. Only two means of killing the present act are legitimate, either that it shall be thrown out by the Supreme Court, or that it shall be repealed by the Congress of the United States.