GOURDIN AND HARWOOD QUALIFY FOR FINALS

PRINCETON LEADS IN TRIALS

Two Harvard men, E. O. Gourdin '21 and R. W. Harwood '20, qualified in the trial events of the I. C. A. A. A. A. meet in Philadelphia yesterday. Gourdin will compete in the finals of the 100-yard dash and the broad-jump, while Harwood will fight for honors in the pole-vault finals today. No trials were held for the mile and two-mile runs, and the Crimson entrants for these enents are Captain D. F. O'Connell '21 in the former, and B. Lewis '20 and C. L. Bond E.S. in the latter race. O'Connell's ankle, which was badly sprained last week at Princeton, is not yet in condition, and it is doubtful whether the Crimson leader will be able to show much competition against the other runners.

Princeton, with a total of 16, heads the list in the number of men qualifying in the preliminaries, Pennsylvania is second with 13, Cornell next with 11, followed by California and Dartmouth with 7 each. The other qualifiers are distributed among the many colleges entered.

Pennsylvania, by its recent victory over the Ithacans, is favored by the dopesters to carry off the honors with the Cornell team as runner-up, although Princeton and Dartmouth may upset predictions. It is quite probable that several records will be shattered, among them the high hurdles, the hammer-throw and the half-mile. O'Connell had been counted on to win the mile again while the odds are in favor of Harwood, Gourdin and one of the two milers placing.