FRESHMAN TRACK TEAM GIVES IN TO ANDOVER

DAVIS HIGHEST SCORER

Notwithstanding the fact that the Freshmen placed first in the 100, 220, 440-yard and mile races and excelled in the shot-put and pole-vault, Andover with its more evenly balanced track team was able Saturday to pile up 64 1-5 points against the yearlings 43 4-5. The Academy's victory must be credited to vast superiority in the hurdles, jumps and hammer-throw, as well as to the capturing of many second and third places. R. D. Howard was the star performer in the track events, winning both the 100 and the 220-yard dashes, while H. R. Davis, who took first in the pole-vault and shot-put and came third in the high-jump, was the highest point-getter. Capt. J. E. Kennedy, former Andover leader, captured the title in the quarter-mile, while W. C. Bennett succeeded in winning first place in the mile.

Weather Conditions Unfavorable.

Track conditions were very unfavorable, the slight rain immediately preceding the meet making the ground much too wet for any records. Neither team made any exceptional times. In view of the fact that this was the first contest in which 1923 men have ever competed as a unit, the results were fairly good. Andover, though having less individual stars, has had more experience working together and achieved the victory from consistent second and third-place getting and superiority in the field events.

The summary:

100-Yard Dash.--Won by R. D. Howard '23; second, Gage, Andover; third, V. Chapin '23. Time, 10 3-5s.

220-Yard Dash.--Won by R. D. Howard '23; second, Gage, Andover; third, V. Chapin '23. Time, 23 2-5s.

440-Yard Run.--Won by J. E. Kennedy '23; second, McInnes, Andover; third, Allen, Andover. Time, 53 4-5s.

880-Yard Run--Won by Scriven, Andover; second, Hudner, Andover; third, R. N. Bryan '23. Time, 2m., 8s.

Mile Run.--Won by W. C. Bennett '23; second, Bush, Andover; third, McNeil, Andover. Time, 4m., 43s.

High Hurdles.--Won by Avery, Andover: second, C. H. Hawes '23, and Peiner, Andover, tied. Time, 16 3-5s.

Low Hurdles.--Won by Avery, Andover; second, C. H. Hawes '23; third, Lewis, Andover. Time, 27 4-5s.

Broad Jump.--Won by Hills, Andover; second, Cheney, Andover; third, L. Dejonge '23. Distance, 21ft., 9 3-4 in.

High Jump.--Cutler, Andover, and Richardson, Andover, tied for first; third, H. R. Davis, '23. Height, 5ft., 6in.

Hammer-Throw--Won by Wolfe, Andover; second, Robinson, Andover; third, Bates, Andover. Distance, 144ft., 6in.

Shot-Put.--Won by H. R. Davis '23; second, M. W. Self '23; third, Burbridge, Andover. Distance, 40ft., 7in.

Pole-Vault.--Won by H. R. Davis '23; second, Cutler, Ross. Allen and Wright. Andover, and H. J. Freedman '23, tied. Height, 9ft., 6in.