DR. McCARTY CHOSEN TO COACH HARRIERS DURING FALL SEASON

McCARTY AND BILL BINGHAM ADDRESS TRACK MEETING

Cross-country work was commenced yesterday with the announcement to the 50 odd runners who reported at the Locker Building that Dr. W. T. McCarty, who formerly ran and later coached under Jack Moakley, the famous Cornell director, had been secured to coach the Crimson harriers during the eight weeks of the fall season.

Previous to the short workout which the men were given under the director of D. F. O'Connell '21, captain of the University team, and F. G. Bemis '21 leader of the cross-country team. Coach Farrell and the two captains spoke to the men. They emphasized the neces- sity of strict training and hard work and the need for more men.

Bill Bingham Speaks

Bill Bingham, the newly appointed track supervisor, spoke to the candidates also and introduced Dr. McCarty. The former said that track must be put back where it belongs, with the rest of the major sports, and told of how keenly the graduates felt about last season's showing. All men in College who had any interest in track should, Bingham declared, turn out and help the coaches build up a winning team.

Dr. McCarty, who is to have complete charge of the University and Freshman teams, next addressed the men. Dr. McCarty is an experienced cross-country leader, for in addition to his work at Cornell he has worked with the teams at Holy Cross, Tufts and the University of Maine, while in Boston College and later Cornell, he was a formidable mile and half-mile runner.

"Must Stick to It," Said Dr. McCarty

"Inasmuch as there is a meet every Saturday from October 16 until November 20, excepting November 13, everyone who starts in the cross-country work must stick to it. Everyone will have a fair chance and the hardest and most faithful workers will make up the seven-man team." He brought out the fact that the cross-country team was never successful as a one-man team, but every man was important.

Dr. McCarty urged every man not to hesitate about asking questions and declared absolutely that each man must bring out at least one other man. "A squad of over 100 men is necessary for a successful year."

It was announced that the fall track would start on Thursday.

The University cross-country schedule, subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee, is as follows:

October 16--Invitation meet at Syracuse.

October 23--M. I. T. (tentative).

October 30--Cornell at Ithaca.

November 6--Yale at Belmont.

November 20--Intercollegiates at New Haven