LAUDS LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE AS SATISFYING PROFESSION

President Eliot Speaks Before Crowded Meeting of Topiarian Club in Robinson Hall

President Eliot was the guest of honor at a meeting held in the crowded lecture room of Robinson Hall yesterday afternoon at 4 o'clock. The gathering was under the auspices of the Topiarian Club, an organization of the students in Landscape Architecture, and was featured by a talk by Dr. Eliot on "The World and the Landscape Architect," followed by a tea given to the guests.

In his address Dr. Eliot declared that landscape architecture gives more satisfaction to those practicing it, than any other profession can do. The landscape architect's problems are the solution of others' troubles and it is this solution that gives him real pleasure, first in the knowledge of having solved his problem and second in the beauty of his new creation.

There are three fields in the profession, the artistic side, the engineering side, and the plant study side, but the two greatest joys are in the creation of beautiful things and in the addition of beauty to things already created, for in so doing he gives joys to many people. He finds a pride and duty in saving the natural existing beauties and protecting them from the destruction of other development.