JAVELIN REQUIRES ALL-ROUND ABILITY

Best Men in This Event Have Always Been Pentathlon Winners in Own Country--Coach Mikkola Declares Great Skill Needed for Success

By Jakko Mikkola, (Special Article (Sr. the Crimson)

Coach Mikkola, who was recently appointed coach of the discus and javelin events by the Athletic Committee, came to this country from Finland where he was a member of the Helsingin Kinavelkot, a prominent athletic club. For several years he acted in the capacity of coach to the club, turning out four world champions during this period, and during the summer of 1920 was appointed official coach of the Finnish Olympic team.

Of all throwing events the javelin requires of its master the most all-round athletic ability. The best men in javelin throwing have been, without exception, pentathlon men in their own country. This is very natural, because first-class results demand that a man possess a steel, sinewy, supple body. Shoulders, stomach, thighs, and calf also undergo a tearing strain. The hardest trial is demanded of that part of the body where lies the javelin thrower's soul, namely the elbow.

Javelin throwing is not like throwing a ball, although there is a similarity. In throwing a ball, twisting it does not shorten the distance, but in throwing a javelin you are required to keep the weapon in perfect balance, which means in the right position.

To learn to hold the javelin in balance and in proper position, and to carry the arm and hand gracefully behind the shoulders requires constant practice (hence the "Looking Glass Exercise" as directed in practice). The javelin is so long and heavy that it very easily falls out of balance in straightening the arm behind the shoulder.

Simple as javelin throwing may appear to the casual bystander, it nevertheless demands a long period of constant practice from a thrower before he becomes an expert. All present-day champions have worked over extensive periods of time before they accomplished 200-foot results.

In learning to throw the javelin, it is very important that the beginner does not set his mark directly before him, but that he should aim at some imaginary point out of sight. For example, to throw a hundred feet from standing position is comparatively simple for a man with the inclination. If a fast running start is added to this, the javelin will fly high over the hundred-foot mark.

To arrive at satisfactory results next spring, the men who are interested in this event should report regularly every day. The most important thing is that the candidates should have a real interest in practice, otherwise they will not have the fire and temperament which first-class results require.