"LOOSE CHANGE"

If the paying of a bonus to war veterans were simply a matter of distributing the loose change in the National Treasury, the idea would appeal to the sympathetic generosity of the American people. Even 300 millions might seem to come under this head--a judicious stoppage of the leaks in the income tax might easily account for this sum. Unfortunately the Soldiers' Bonus bill now before the Senate fails--despite Senator McCumber's optimism--to confine itself within these modest limits. If we are to believe Secretary of the Treasury Mellon, the payments for the first two years will come to at least 850 millions. Past experience has shown that the estimates of those who foster large scale expenditure are apt to err upon the slender side. In this case, the law of probability favors the accuracy of the Secretary's opinion rather than the Senator's. Apparently, then, the present bill will dig pretty deeply into the pocket-books of the American public.

The letter from Secretary Mellon concerning the financial state of affairs in this country makes it quite clear that the Government will find it difficult enough to make both ends meet without undertaking "any extraordinary expenditures", Certainly, at this time, in view of our extraordinary obligations here and abroad, any war bonus bill must come under the above classification. Undoubtedly it would be a very nice thing to present our veterans with a tangible token of our appreciation; but should this be done at an utterly unreasonable cost?

To serve one's country in time of war is the fundamental duty of every citizen. When two million men leave their homes for this purpose, the act cannot but lose its conspicuousness as an example of devotion; what hardship they may have endured during their service and the personal losses which they have often sustained through leaving their private pursuits are as regrettable as they are unavoidable. C'est la guerre. We have heard much concerning the inefficient provision for the real sufferers of the war--the disabled; if the Government has money to spend, let it spend it for the benefit of those who have lost more than time and position.