GREAT ENTHUSIASM FOR BOXING ATTESTED IN RECORD SQUADS

260 Men Have Made Great Progress During Past Three Weeks-Championship Bouts May Take Place Early.

About 260 men are now reporting for boxing at the Hemenway Gymnasium, 80 of whom are Freshmen. Jack Mc-Clellan, who has been coaching the second squad in the absence of Coach Lawrence Conley, states that a remarkable improvement has been shown since he first took charge three weeks ago.

Since the space formerly occupied by the old bowling alleys was turned into handball courts, the regular courts have been reserved for boxing on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons, and this arrangement has greatly aided in lesse0ning the congestion caused by overcrowding of the small space formerly available to Coach Conley's men. The afternoon is divided into four one-hour periods beginning at 1.45, and men may sign up for any of the periods to suit their convenience. There is no distinction between Freshman and University boxers, but in all cases the men are evenly matched.

Every year championship matches are held which are open to all members of the University. This year, due to the extraordinary interest in the sport, the match will probably be held about two weeks earlier than usual, though the dates have not yet been announced. The contestants for the University championships will be divided into the following seven classes: 115, 125, 135, 145, 160 and 175 pounds and heavy-weights, anything over 175 pounds, Five of last year's champions are back at College, while Edward Eagan IL.. captain of last year's Yale team and winning American representative of the 165 pounds class at the 1920 Olympic games at Antwerp, will also be eligible, F. X. Collins '22, G. A. Crooks '25 R. Le, B. Daggett '23, 145 pounds champion, C. A. C. Eastman '24, Edward Eagan, IL, B. J. Freedman '23, 125 pounds champion, Benoni Lockwood Jr. '22, heavyweight champion, M. T. Quinn '25, R. M. Sedgwick 1G.B, Theodore Strong '22, E. D. Weathered, 160 and 175 pound champion, are logical candidates for this year's championships.