TEAM SHOWS POWER IN FIRST QUARTER

University Limits Itself to Straight Running Work--Middlebury Develops Powerful Attack--Final Score 20-0

The University eleven swept down the field for two touchdowns in the first eight minutes of play against Middlebury in the opening game Saturday, while a spectacular interception of a forward pass and a brilliant broken field run netted an additional score, giving the Crimson a 20 to 0 victory to start the season.

The visitors were clearly outclassed in the first quarter when Coach Fisher's first-string men gained 126 yards by rushing and carried the ball 60 yards on seven plays for the initial score. But the mediocre work of the Crimson substitutes, who were sent in after the second score, more than balanced the impressive work of team. A. The Middlebury backs gained almost at will during the last three periods and outrushed and outpassed the Crimson second-string eleven almost two to one.

The University team received the kick-off and Owen started the scrimmage with a short line plunge. On the next play from kick-formation, Fitts raced around right end, penetrated the Middlebury second defence, and was finally brought down on the visitors' 37-yard line after a 26-yard gain. Owen duplicated Fitts' run, this time through the center, and placed the ball on the nineyard line. From this point it took four plays before the Crimson scored, Owen finally going over for the season's first tally. Buell sent over a drop-kick for the extra point.

The second score followed quickly when, on a fourth down, the Vermont quarterback tossed a pass into the Crimson fullback's arms. One end run by Fitts and a line play by Owen were all that was necessary to place the ball between the goal-posts for the second time. Buell missed the try for goal.

The Middlebury attack got under way near the start of the second period after the Crimson had lost the ball on downs. But an intercepted pass after a 20-yard advance gave the ball to the University until the end of the period.

Middlebury came back strong in the second half, however, and again took the ball away on downs after Coach Fisher's men had advanced to within 19 yards of the visitors' goal. Here Middlebury started a march which swept through the Crimson line for 42 yards and was only broken by Pfaffman's brilliant run dashing Middlebury's hopes until the fourth quarter when the visitors carried the ball down to the 16-yard line, only to lose it as the University line stiffened and held on downs.

Coach Fisher used 34 men during the game and employed only three different formations. The University's only forward pass was successful, while of the 13 tried by Middlebury, three went through as planned for a total gain of 28 yards.

The summary:

HARVARD  MIDDLEBURYJenkins, Crosby, Wilson,  r.e., GallagherKennedy, l.e.  LearyTheopold, Greenough, l.t.  r.t., Ehlert, Davie, PotterGrew, Miller, l.g.  r.g. MullinClark, Kernan, Bradford, Post, Codman, c.  c., MoynihanC. J. Hubbard, Maloney, r.g.  l.g., Riegelman, BrowskiEastman, R. S. Hubbard, r.t.  l.t., Kalin, FrankGordon, Hartley, Hill, McGillen, r.e.  l.e., Klevenow, NovatonyBuell, Lee, Howe, Green, Akers, q.b.  q.b., Papke, HullquistFitts, Rouillard, Hammond, l.h.b.  r.h.b., DrostOwen, Churchill, Harlow, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Ashley, KilbrideGehrke, Pfaffman, f.b.  f.b., Schwartz, Dal