FRENCH PRINTS AT FOGG

Works by Famous Masters Included in Exhibition in Print Room--Date From Sixteenth Century

In the print Room of the Fogg Art Museum is now being shown an exhibition of French Prints--etchings, engravings, woodcuts, and lithographs, dating from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries. Included in the work of the earlier masters are prints by Jean Duvet, one of the first to practise the art of engraving in France; Jean Gourmont, "the best representative of the spirit of the German Little Masters transplanted in France"; and portraits by Mellan, Morin, and Nanteuil, the head of the French school of portrait engraving; Antoine Masson, a serious rival of Nanteuil's fame; Edelinck and Pierre Drevet, who in his portraits developed an exaggerated fineness of technique.

Dating from the seventeenth century are prints by Jacques Callot, whose work is notable in the history of etching in that it is among the earliest in which the practice of a second biting was used to any extent; and Claude Lornain, remarkable for his power of rendering atmospheric effects.

Eighteenth century work is illustrated by Watteau and Fragonard. The work of the Barbizon school may be studied in scenes of peasant life by Charles Jacque and Millet, and landscapes by Daubigny, Corot, and Rousseau. Etchings of Paris by Lalanne and Lepere are shown, Lithographs by Gavarni, Chariet, Raffet, Daumier, and Manet; landscape etchings by Pissarro, and a very rare lithograph of four figures by Ingres.