DEAN DAVID REPORTS ON TRIP TO WESTERN STATES

Investigated Curriculum of Colleges in Relation to Work of Business School--Finds General Feeling of Respect for University

Assistant Dean D. K. David of the Business School has just returned from a long trip through the western states where he has visited 32 colleges and ten Harvard Clubs in an effort to bring the western organizations in closer touch with the work of the Business School. Dean David left Cambridge on Thursday, December 10, and returned only a week ago.

The trip was planned to accomplish several distinct purposes. In the first place the Deans realize that the large number of men from the West will be seeking employment in western concerns and feel that it is only fair that the School let the future employers know the aims and purposes of its work in order that they will neither expect too little or too much.

The main purpose of the visit was, however, to obtain a better knowledge of what the western colleges are doing in their undergraduate work, in order that the Business School can better coordinate its graduate courses with the liberal arts education of the colleges.

The majority of the 32 colleges visited were located in the Rocky Mountain and Pacific Coast districts, since it is these sections that furnish the school with most of its western attendance.

In his speeches Dean David set forth the purposes of the School. He also held conferences with the ruling boards of the colleges in an effort to come to a better understanding in regard to the coordination of the curricula of the Business School and the colleges. Dean David also stopped at various Harvard Clubs of the middle and far west, discussing the work of the Business School and outlining the proposed connection with the colleges of the districts.

In commenting on his observations, Dean David said, "The teaching of business has grown very rapidly. Out of about 600 colleges and universities in the country 301 are giving organized instruction in business. Altogether, about 40,000 college students are studying business administration. This growth has come mainly since the war period, and the undergraduate schools of commerce, without exception, have heavy enrollment.

Dean David went on to say that there was a general recognition of the value of the case system in the teaching of business administration as it has been developed in the Business School, and that many of the western universities have adopted the method.

In conclusion Dean David said:

"There is a general feeling of respect for Harvard University held both by undergraduates and by members of the staffs of western colleges. There is a splendid loyalty to Harvard in western Harvard Clubs and an active desire to know more about what Harvard is doing and to be of aid to the University."