QUITE A PARTY

Whatever doubts there may have been in the public mind as to the success of the Genoa conference have been set at rest by the news that the Russian Ballet is to take part. Certainly if the Russian nation has a leg to stand on, that leg belongs to the Ballet. If the Bolsheviks wish to bring up the value of the ruble, they must toe the mark while the rest of the conference is enjoying itself.

All in all, it will be a merry week-end, and one likely to attract delegates from all parts of the world. The South Americans have laid by their lassos, the Germans are putting the finishing teaches on their masks of friendship, and the Bolsheviki have managed to run off an extra billion or so of rubles to buy themselves hair-cuts. The rest of the world makes its silent preparations as well; and it is announced that many a distinguished wardrobe will be pressed into service. From all appearances, the conference is preparing to fiddle while Rome burns.

It is likely, however, that the thing will go farther. The tired business man has his "Follies", the weary delegate his Ballet, and the rest of us may profit by their example. Our business men could perhaps be lured to the White House by a symphony concert, the House of Lords may soon be opening its deliberations with a performance of "The Mikado", and all political speeches made in the style of Artemus Ward. Before long statesmanship will consist in perpetual conferring at attractively situated resorts. The nine Muses bid fair to make a complete conquest of the seven great Powers.