DECLARES AMERICA MUST SAVE WORLD CIVILIZATION

Mr. Shaw Desmond Tells Liberal Club Europe Is Headed for Destruction--Predicts General War and Intensive Use of Poison Gas Within 20 Years

After a luncheon at the Liberal Club yesterday Mr. Shaw Desmond, author and journalist, gave a talk on "The Relations of Europe and America". For over 15 years and especially since the war, Mr. Desmond has travelled extensively and has had ample opportunity to study conditions at first hand.

Mr. Desmond's main point was that European civilization was on the downward path and that it was the duty of the United States to keep away from all entangling alliances in order that it may conserve its youth and strength to save what is left of the world after the destruction of Europe. He began by discussing the Washington Conference and the League of Nations. In these movements for world peace, he declared that America was the only country acting honestly and sincerely.

"The representatives of the other countries are acting, in the first place, merely for their own personal interests, and in the second, for their own countries", said Mr. Desmond. "Every European country", he continued, "is in the hands of one or two men and these men are directing the millions of people under their control towards a second great European War." Mr. Desmond predicted that this war will take place within 20 years, and that in it, aeropianes and poison gas will be the offensive weapons.