MARK SULLIVAN GIVES DESCRIPTIVE ACCOUNT OF CONFERENCE WORK

FOUR-POWER TREATY ABROGATES ANGLO-JAPANESE PACT

In his speech at the Union last night Mr. Mark Sullivan '00 first gave a picture of the Washington Conference with its press correspondents from all over the world, and then outlined the work of the conference. In describing what happened he took up in order Naval Disarmament, Land Disarmament, and the Four Power Treaty.

Mr. Sullivan first spoke of the opening day, which Mr. Balfour has called "unique in history", in which Mr. Hughes electrified his audience and startled the world by making a concrete proposal that Great Britain and the United States should scrap a certain number of their battleships.

Land disarmament was dropped from the agenda of the conference because of M. Briand's speech in which he said, "France has done an immeasurable amount of disarmament since the war, and can go no further". As to the Four-Power Treaty, Mr. Sullivan said that it had a certain value in itself, but was chiefly a device to get rid of the Anglo-Japanese alliance, which no longer served the use for which it was originally meant.

The last point that Mr. Sullivan mentioned was the movement to outlaw the submarine, urged by England and the United States, but finally dropped on account of France's objections. "The conference might have gone beyond its boundaries, gone beyond the Hughes proposal", he said, "it might have done a thing that would have had an angelic effect on the world, had not France refused to agree to scrap her submarines"