GENEVA SUMMER SCHOOL TO TEACH SPOKEN FRENCH

Foreigners to Langauge Learn It Here, M. Fatio Says--Describes "Heart of Europe" as an International Center and Meeting Point of Three Nations

Before an enthusiastic and appreciative audience in the Faculty Room of the Union last night, M. Guillaume Fatio gave an illustrated lecture on Geneva, the heart of Europe, and concluded by speaking briefly on the work of the University of Geneva. Before the lecture, members of the University Glee Club welcomed M. Fatio by singing the "Prayer of Thanksgiving".

Geneva, according to M. Fatio, is the meeting point of three different races, and three different languages, French, German, and Italian are spoken there. it is also an international political center; there are always 26 international bodies doing business in Geneva. The first international arbitration took place in 1872 in the Hall of the Alabana, when the United States arbitrated with England. At present the city is holding its own as an international center, for the first of September in every year the League of Nations assembles there.

M. Fatio also described Geneva as a center of Calvinism. In speaking of a statue of Roger Williams erected there, he said that no picture of him was available, so the artist had no means of reproducing his likeness. Yet Americans, upon seeing the statue, always say "It looks just like him!"

In conclusion, M. Fatio spoke of the summer school of the University of Geneva, which has been organized with the main object of providing students of non-French-speaking countries with the opportunity of improving their practical knowledge of French.