TWENTY-EIGHT CREWS TAKE TO RIVER IN WORK-OUT YESTERDAY

MEN WILL BE DEFINITELY GRADED NEXT WEEK

Eighteen University class crews were out on the river yesterday for the first day of practice on the Charles that has been held for any except Freshman crews. Of these eights, three were Senior, seven Junior, and eight Sophomore.

Dr. Howe, accompanied by Coaches William Haines and E. J. Brown '96, and for a part of the afternoon by Captain Appleton, coached the crews, all of which rowed upstream. The men were instructed to row at any easy stroke in an endeavor to have them become accustomed to the unfamiliar work on the river without sacrificing any of the form which has been stressed in the indoor work. None of the crews rowed far, the work being limited for the most part to the stretch of river between Newell Boat-house and the half-mile straightaway upstream.

There has been no official attempt as yet to grade any of the crews but this is the last week in which the men will row as at present; next week will see graded eights on the river.

Ten Freshman crews were out yesterday and were coached by "Bert" Haines who accompanied the men in a single and gave them instruction as to the work on the river especially in regard to the difficulties encountered as the result of a transfer from indoor to outdoor rowing.

The problem this week is to adjust the rowing to the river and is of utmost importance especially for the Freshman crews which have not had any previous experience. It is also of importance as regards the choice of the first and second University crews, since the coaches will base a large part of their decisions on the ability shown by the various men in this first stage of the work on the river.