"MR. X IS REQUESTED--"

Anyone who has been summoned to the presence in University 4, whether officially or unofficially, has often been considerably inconvenienced by the delay and lack of system attendant upon the visitation. If the long line, waiting "to see the dean", were an exception happening only once or twice, a term, the inconvenience of the delay would make no real difference; but occurring as it does daily, the long wait is coming to be regarded as the rule. Anyone called to the office has reason to expect to sit in line from fifteen minutes to an hour and a half,--and then sometimes fail of the objective. There is no way at present of reserving a place in the line, and a man would rather waste an hour with five in line ahead of him, than give up his place and come in later when his chances would be even less. The five men may be disposed of in twenty minutes, or one of the five may have a consultation lasting an hour. If a man knew that his "case" would not come up for over an hour, he could go to the Library and come back at the expected time. It is the uncertainty that is annoying; and what makes it all the more so is that it could be so easily eliminated.

It is perhaps undignified to compare the Dean's Office with the squash courts, but if somewhat the system used in reserving courts in the Randolph Gymnasium were employed in University 4, much of the present waste of time would be prevented. It would be necessary simply to place a "signing-up" sheet in University 4 each day. A few more details on the post-card summons would give an idea as to how much time was necessary, and the man summoned could sign up accordingly. If he was called to be informed that he had cut the last class before Armistice day last November, he would need to sign up for a five minute period only, while men expecting a long conference would reserve three or more of these unit,--five minute,--periods. At all events, however these details were worked out, with such a sheet in use in University 4, the dean himself would know whom to expect and when, as in any efficient business organization; and the long, mournful line in the waiting room would be done away with completely.