SCOTT NEARING SPEAKS ON CHOICE OF VOCATION

Two Courses Open to Graduate--Association With Forces of Capitalism or Enlistment in Service of Truth--Colleges Should Furnish Teachers

After a luncheon at the Liberal Club yesterday, Mr. Scott Nearing, former professor of Political, Science at the University of Pennsylvania, spoke briefly on the choice of life work confronting a man upon his graduation from college. According to Mr. Nearing he must elect one of two courses; he may either associate himself with the forces of capitalism and private property, thus becoming the hireling of the "Standard Oil Company or Kidder, Peabody and Co.", or he may enlist himself in the service of truth and right.

If he chooses the latter course, he must make a still further decision. He may become "an advocate of force, a propagandist with a knife between his teeth" or he may contest himself with the more peaceful but no less useful life of a philosopher or teacher. Both classes of this second division have as a common function, "a search for truth without fear or favor". The members of both must be willing to stand on their feet and say what they think. Under our present civilization, Mr. Nearing continued, an ever increasing specialization is tending to disrupt all cooperation between different men and classes, and hence, now more than ever before, we are in need of a set of men, philosophers, teachers as well as propagandists, to teach people the truth and to "tell them the names of things". "If these men do not come from the colleges, they may possibly rise from the laboring classes, but the colleges should furnish them. If they do not the world will roll on to an awaiting destruction."