WAYS THAT ARE DARK

While the attention of the world is fixed on Genoa and its diplomatic contests, China is undergoing a political upheaval which may substantially change the situation in the Far East. The center of the storm is the Manchurian General, Chang Tso-Lin, who has just seized Pekin and Tientsin, driven out his rivals and practically gained control of Central as well as Northern China.

The career of this "stormy petrel" of politics has been one to inspire both respect and fear. Beginning as an uneducated bandit of Manchuria, he rose rapidly to the command of the "hung hutze" or banditti, by force of personality. After aiding Japan in the war with Russia he surrendered to the Chinese government on very favorable terms. His followers became government troops and his promotion to the post of Military Governor was rapid, partially by virtue of good service to the Republic and partly no doubt by reason of the continued loyalty of his troops to their leader.

At last he has come into full control of the capital city and has driven Wu Pei-Fa southward. Accordingly the question of his next step arises. Will he exploit China for the advantage of his own pocket, already bulging with a two million dollar income, or will he seek only the unification and development of his country, as he promises, so that it may become the united nation which alone is capable, in his opinion, of settling the problems of the Far East?

How much reliance is to be placed on his professions of withdrawal is open to considerable question. Even if his statements were made in all sincerity he will not have far to seek for other men whose heads have been turned by power.

Moreover, whether he seeks tyranny or a united republic the next step is to subdue his rival Wu Pei-Fu. For China's zake as well as for the sake of Asiatic peace it is to be hoped he will withdraw. Further civil strife means only an excuse for outside intervention, and China, like several other states, fiercely resents any interference with her private quarrels, has yet to demonstrate an ability to protect either foreign or domestic rights.

"For ways that are dark

And tricks that are vain

The Heathen Chinee is peculiar-" But Bret Harte is deal and times have changed; Chang Tso-Lin may yet belie his shady past and put China on her feet once more. Apparently he is able to if the "spirit moves him.