RACES FOR CLASS AND 150-POUND EIGHTS ARE FEATURE OF CREW WORK

UNIVERSITY WINS BY LENGTH IN HENLEY DISTANCE

With May 20 just announced as the date for the race between the University, Yale, and Princeton 150-pound crews, Coach Brown yesterday took out his three 150-pound class crews and gave them their final race over the mile course in the Basin. With him was Coach William Haines who will pick eight men today to form the University 150-pound crew.

The Sophomores stroked by L. B. Damon '24 took a lead of nearly a length in the first quarter of a mile and held it till the latter part of the race when they lengthened out again and finished with almost half a length of open water showing ahead of the Juniors; time 5 minutes, 38 seconds. The Seniors, handicapped by the loss of one of their oarsmen, came in about a quarter of a length behind the Juniors.

Yearlings Also In Race

Coach Bert Haines had his two light crews also rowing in this race. They trailed from the start and put in their best work toward the end of the race when they cut down the lead of the Seniors to about half a length.

Five of the leading class crews also rowed over the mile distance, as one of the final trials before the crews are picked for the class crew races on May 10. Junior A after a short distance forged to the front and led the whole way winning in 5 minutes and 40 seconds by a length and a half when Garrison Norton '23 put the stroke up for the last stretch. Junior B came in second with the other three crews bunched close behind and Sophomore A slightly ahead.

The first two University crews and the first Freshman eight raced over the Henley distance yesterday. The first crew got the lead at the start but the junior boat succeeded in coming up very nearly even at the Harvard Bridge. In the last five-sixteenths of a mile, however, the first eight won a lead of about a length while the Freshmen trailed the junior crew. The University boats also practiced some racing starts against the Technology eights.

Last night there was a meeting for all 7's and strokes of the more important crews at which members of the Graduate Committees for these two positions spoke.

With a view to setting definitely on the seating of the two Freshman fouroars which are scheduled to race at Exeter this Saturday, Coach Bert Haines yesterday afternoon put his quartet of fours through a mile test over the Basin course.

Crew 8 won handily by two lengths, with Crews 6, 7, and 9 trailing in the order named. By virtue of their victory over the other fours, Crews 8 and 6 will probably be the ones to fill Saturday's engagement at Exeter.