WHY VACATE?

While a considerable part of the college was getting ready for a week of enjoyment in New York or Pride's Crossing, the Alumni Bulletin seized the opportunity to attack the April Recess so convincingly that we almost found ourselves agreeing with the writer. It must be admitted that the weather was bad, and a lot of men were obliged to stay in Cambridge anyway. A limited scenic tour of Virginia and Georgia is hardly an excuse for an entire week utterly wasted,--save for a few professors who, according to the Bulletin, used the time to visit New York and see some of the plays about which they have been reading.

The only excuse for a Spring Recess is that it is a tradition handed down from the days when students were too lazy to work steadily for four months; but surely such a consideration will have no effect on Harvard. Tradition which has outgrown its usefulness must be abolished.

But lest Seniors who could have used even more time for Divisionals be moved to wrath by the idea, we take the liberty of pointing out the editor's confessedly licentious mood." And yet the Alumni did not take a vacation; why should the Alumni Bulletin?