"THEY ALSO SERVE--"

The announcement today of the plans for spending $100,000 in further development of Soldiers Field comes at a most opportune time. As a result of the system of compulsory athletics for Freshmen, now in its third year, the number of men throughout the University engaged in athletics of every kind, has reached a point where it far exceeds the present athletic facilities. The major sports are well taken care of, but for the great number of men who use Soldiers Field for the sake of exercise alone, the present accommodations are hopelessly inadequate. The line of development planned is in the right direction. A number of new tennis-courts are to be built and twenty-five acres of swampy land are to be reclaimed for use as an additional athletic field. The Athletic Association has also decided to open the tennis courts for playing on Sunday afternoons as an experiment. This measure will go far towards relieving the present congestion on the Soldiers Field courts, but the cooperation of everyone will be necessary to prevent its abuse.

The whole plan for improvements is consistent with the spirit of Major Higginson's gift in promoting exercise for as many men as possible and will be appreciated by the entire University.