RUNNERS IN FIRST TIME TRIALS WITHIN STADIUM

Mr. W. M. Rand '09 Coaches Hurdlers--L. K. Marshall '22 Wins Hammer-Throw--More Informal Competitions in Field Events on Monday

Coach Bingham took his squad out on the Stadium field and track yesterday for the first time this year, the runners having previously practiced only on the new quarter mile oval in the northwest corner of Soldiers Field. Some of the sprinters took part in the intial time trials of the season, while the longer distance men underwent their second series of tests.

Mr. W. M. Rand '09 spent the afternoon in coaching the hurdlers, correcting individual faults and emphasizing for both University and Freshman candidates, the necessity of running in a straight line, doing away with all wavering from side to side and other unnecessary action.

Coach Farrell continued his series of informal competitions for the field event men, holding a contest in the hammer-throw. Captain Brown did not attend the practice, and in his absence L. K. Marshall '22, who secured second place in the competition on Monday, gained premier honors with H. S. Grew '24 and P. H. Theopold '25 winning second and third places respectively. On Monday there will be--more of these competitions in the high jump, broad jump and hammer throw as the final tuning up before the trials for the spring handicap on Tuesday. Several members of the Dartmouth team, including Jerkins, a fast sprinter, and Hallock, star middle distance runner, worked with the Crimson team on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon.