STATISTICS POINT TO CLOSEST CONTEST IN YEARS IN DUAL TRACK MEET WITH YALE AT STADIUM TODAY

Crimson With Particular Strength in Hurdles and Weight Events Should Score in All Events--Return of Veterans Strengthens Team

With a team which started this season as one of the least promising in recent years the University runners face today in the Stadium a crack Yale team which includes a large number of veterans from the Blue aggregation of a year ago, the team which won last year's dual meet by a score of 62 1-3 to 54 2-3. With this in view, it would seem that the University runners are facing a most difficult task, but the impressive victory over M. I. T. a week ago, and the work done by the team in practice this week, gives promise that the contest will be one of the closest in recent years, with a Crimson triumph a strong possibility if not a probability. With particular strength in the hurdles and weight-events, the Crimson team is well-balanced, and capable of scoring in every one of the 15 events.

Particularly encouraging is the return to the squad of Chapin in the sprints of Chute in the 440-yard run. Davis in the pole-vault, and Whitney in the hurdle-races. All four of these are veterans of last year's team, and may be counted on to tally.

There is one race in today's meet to which all track enthusiasts are looking forward with especial keenness. This event is the mile run, which promises to be a real battle between Burke, the star Crimson miler, and Douglas. Yale's crack runner from last year's Freshman team who has done close to record time in several meets this year. Douglas is a slight favorite to win, but Burke should give him a hard flight for the University runner has done some very fine work this year, winning the event last Saturday from Sanborn of M. I. T. in extremely good time, when the condition of the track, which was rain-soaked and heavy, is taken into consideration. Wilson of Yale is the most likely contender for third place although Sherburne will give him a close contest for the honor.

The 880-yard run presents much the same story, with Burke again carrying the burden of the Crimson hopes. Again the Eli entry, Campbell, is favored to win, but again, the reckoning does not take fully into account the improvement of Burke during the meets and practice work outs this spring. Last Saturday, after walking away with the mile, he won the half-mile event by over 16 yards in near-record time. Provided that the mile race is not too hard on him he should press Campbell to the tape and there is more than a chance that he can cross the line a victor. McGarthy, who finished second against Technology last Saturday in a fine spurt to the line should come in third, although F. W. Hilles may capture the place for the visitors.

With very little known about the relative strength of either team in the sprints, these events present an extremely puzzling aspect. Feldman, the star of last year's Eli team, is generally conceded a victory in the 100-yard dash, both on the basis of his performances last year and on his record and times this year. He is a capable runner, with plenty of experience in school and college behind him, and is generally ranked as one of the mainstays of the Blue team. The fight for second and third places will be close, with J. S. Clark Jr. and Chase playing the leading roles for the University, and Rusnak, who won the 100-yard dash against Princeton this year, bearing the Eli colors.

The 220-yard dash promises to be much the same, with Feldman and Chase playing the premier roles. Feldman won this event from Gourdin last year by a small margin, but Chase, who has developed remarkably this year, and won the event against M. I. T. should give him a hard battle. Chase is a masterly runner, with perfect form, and a complete knowledge of racing. As a rule, he starts slowly, but comes through at the finish with a rush, as he ably demonstrated by overcoming a lead and winning the event from Poole of Technology last Saturday. While these two men are battling for first place, and the consensus of expert opinion is that Chase will win, Wansker and J. S. Clark will contest with Koenig and Harris of Yale for third place, although any one of them can be called a potential winner.

Chute Favored in 440

The 440-yard run seems full of uncertainties at the present moment. With Chute back in spiked shoes, the University chances for a win are materially brightened. Chute finished second in the 440 against the Elis last year, being nosed out at the tape by another Crimson runner. This would make it appear that his chances of being the first to break the tape are of the brightest, but the Elis have uncovered a world of strength in Chapman, a member of last year's yearling team, who was second by a small margin to Stevenson, the Princeton crack, and National Quarter-Mile Champion, in the Tiger-Eli meet a week ago. Merrill, captain of last year's Freshman team, is with Chute the best Crimson but against a Blue win in this race. Merrill is capable of exceptionally fast time, and may spring a surprise by breaking the tape this afternoon. Whatever the result, the quarter-mile promises to be one of the best races of the meet.

Yale Strong in Two-Mile

The two-mile run has a Blue tinge with Vander Pyl and C. D. Hilles almost certain to score for the Elis. However, Lund, a new discovery, who finished second against Technology a week ago, and Mahon. who won his letter against the Elis last year, can both be counted on the give Hilles and Vauder Pyl a strong brand of opposition. Land has been coming along in great shape lately, and his work in time-trials and races is one of the most encouraging parts of the season up to the present time, Coburn, who fin- ished on Lund's heels last Saturday, is also a possible contender for points.

If the two mile run looks like a Yale victory, the hurdles have a decidedly Crimson aspect, although strong competition may be expected from Hulman the star of last year's Ell yearling team, who is often conceded first place. Whitney, however, should be able to beat him over both the high and low timbers, provided that he is not hampered by his injury, received on the southern trip this spring. At the present time, it seems to be entirely healed. Hauers and Hulman should have a great battle for second place, with the outcome entirely in doubt.

The 220-yard low hurdle race will undoubtedly be one of the best of the afternoon. Hulman has done some good work in this event as well as in the tall timbers, but Fitts is expected to prove his superior. Fitts is big and fast, with a long stride, and excellent form. He comes will a rush at the end, and this, added to his other qualifications should enable him to finish ahead of the Ell, and swell the Crimson total by five points. Hulman should be close on his heels. With Whitney, Hauers, and Thayer contesting the Elis right to second place.

University Strong in Field Events

The University track men seem to have a decided advantage in the field events. Yale has lost Landon, last year's high jump winner, and Olympic champion, which gives the University the brightest prospects in this event, with Fitts and Morse almost certain to place ahead of Reinacher, the best Eli entry

The fact that Jenkins, who can do 22 feet with regularity, will be able to leave the baseball game and take part in the broad-jump, gives the University an almost certain win, with Fitts capable of annexing third place, even if Reinacher succeeds in outleaping Jenkins. Thayer is also a possible scorer for the University and may even beat out Fitts.

The shot-put looks like a sure victory for the Blue with Jordan and Boltwood both able to put the ball a good deal further than the average, but Captain Brown should place. There is a possibility that he will score second place, and that H. W. Clark will be able to beat out Boltwood for third.

The hammer-throw, in contrast to the shot-put is almost sure to win first place. He finished second in the Penn Relay Carnival, and won the event against the Oxford-Cambridge team last summer, and since then, his form has shown remarkable improvement, with a distance gain in his distances as a result. One of his throws in the M. I. T. meet last Saturday was well over 160 feet, but was foul by inches. Provided that he can stay within the circle, he will surely outdistance Cruiksbank, the bast Eli entry, while Marshall is very likely to win third place for the University over Lands.

pole Vault a Blue Event

Captain Gardner of the Elis is conceded the pole-vault. He has done better than either Davis, the premier University vaulter, or Gratwick, whose work has been improving very fast lately, have ever done, but Davis, unless bothered by his old injury, which kept him out of the meet against the Engineers, will surely win second place, while Gratwick, who has done 11 feet 6 inches, looks like the logical choice for third place over Hulman, whose mark against Princeton was only 11 feet.

The university seems to have the edge in the two new events, the javelin and discuss-throw. Greenidge or Janin, who like Jenkins, will be borrowed from the baseball team long enough to take part in the meet are favored to win, but Storrs who has done particularly well of late, may be able to take first place for the Elis although he will be forced to the limit to beat out either of the Crimson entries.

The discuss-throw looks almost sure for the University with Carpenter who has done as well as 130 feet, practically certain to win. The second place in that event belongs without doubt to Yale, Jordan, who has done close to 125 feet, is a practical certainly for this position, and may even beat out Carpenter, while into of Yale will probably be able to shade Miller for third lace, although this is by no means certain.R. S. Whitney Jr. '22, back in uniform after an injury received on the southern trip this spring, is counted one of the largest of the hurdle entries.