RALLY IN THIRD WINS SERIES WITH ORANGE AND BLACK

Walks Three Men in Succession Allowing Two Runs--Townsend Proves Effective Relief Pitcher for Tigers

Five successive htts in the third inning gave the University nine a 5-4 victory over Princeton at University Field on Saturday afternoon, so winning the annual, series with the Orange and Black. The Tigers made a strong bid to retaliate for the 13-1 defeat of the previous week, and would have succeeded had it not been for the five singles in the third which gave the Crimson a four-run lead. After this rally Townsend replaced Beebe in the Princeton box and held the University to one run in the sixth. Goode, although not at his best, managed to shut out the Tigers after the seventh.

The first two Princeton runs came in the last half of the third just after the visitors had made their rally. Goode passed three men filling the bases and allowing McIlvaine to score a moment later on a short drive by Jefferies. The other run came in on an error by Owen.

The last Crimson tally, which came in the sixth, was the result of an error followed by a sacrifice and a hit. In their half of the inning the Tigers made two hits which led to their third count, while the scoring came to a close in the next inning when MacPhee tallied on a sacrifice fly.

Harvard  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Lincoln, 3b.,  5  1  2  2  0  0Gordon, r.f.,  2  1  1  1  0  0Clark, r.f.,  0  0  0  2  0  0Conlon, s.s.,  4  1  2  2  1  2Owen, 1b.,  4  1  1  8  1  1Jenkins, 2b.,  4  1  0  2  3  0Janin, l.f.,  3  0  2  4  0  0Hallock, c.f.,  4  0  0  4  0  0Murphy, c.,  4  0  0  1  0  1Goode, p.,  3  0  0  1  3  0Toal,  34  5  8  27  8  4Princeton  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.McIlvaine, l.f.,  4  1  2  2  0  0MacPhee, 2b.,  4  2  2  3  4  1Botting, c.f.,  4  0  0  4  1  1Jefferies, c.,  3  1  1  7  3  1Townsend, r.f., p.,  3  0  1  1  2  0Berg, s.s.,  3  0  0  1  4  0Cooper, lb.,  3  0  1  9  1  0Gotshalk, 3b.,  3  0  0  0  0  1Beebe, p.,  3  0  0  0  0  0Garrity, r.f.,  1  0  0  0  0  0Total,  31  4  7  27  15