ENGINEERING CAMP AT SQUAM WELL ATTENDED

Forty Students From University and Three From Other Colleges Take Course Offered by University--Work Is Principally in Field

The University's summer engineering camp at Squam Lake Ashland, New Hampshire closed on August 11 after an eight weeks course in surveying. Nearly 40 students from the University attended the camp and besides these there were three representatives from other colleges.

The work was principally carried on the field though several hours a week were spent in the office on computation and map drawing. Plane, topographical, and railroad surveying were included in the course and all the work in connection with the instruction was done on the 700 acres owned by the University and set aside for the use of the engineers.

Attendance Equals Whole Course

Attendance at the camp is equivalent in credit to a whole course either in the Engineering School or the College. The course, known as Engineering Sciences 4 was started about 20 years ago but in the summers of 1917, 1918, and 1919 the camp was discontinued on account of the war.

Professor H. J. Hughes '94 was in charge of the camp and made frequent visits to the location. Mr. Albert Haertlein '16 and Mr. C. H. Paige '02 had direct charge of the instruction.

The work was fairly strenuous, beginning at six in the morning but as most of the instruction was given in the field there was little monotony. At seven every morning there was a test covering the previous day's work and text assignments for the day were given out. Following this was a lecture of from half an hour to an hour's duration and the rest of the day was taken up in field instruction.

The students lived under canvas in groups of four but the actual work was done in sections of 12 or 13 under the direction of students who had had previous experience at the engineering camp.