COMPULSION

With characteristic skill, many of the metropolitan newspapers have taken up the University's problem of admitting negroes to the Freshman dormitories, and have mis-emphasized it in such a way as to give a false impression. A plain statement of facts is the only basis for judgement, and the letters printed on another page supply those facts. Students who discuss the question may be assured of one thing; that President Lowell has not acted hastily, and that he has acted as he believes is best for all interests. Regardless of personal bias, everyone must acknowledge that his explanation of the principle on which he has acted is logical and liberal. In dormitories where residence is voluntary, any student is admitted, but in the case of the Freshman Dormitories, where all white members of the class are obliged to reside, the admission of negroes would amount not to permitting but compelling the two races to live together, Such a compulsion, he believes could only "increase a prejudice that . . . . is most unfortunate".