WITH MALICE TOWARD NONE

Our eyes were completely, dazzled on looking over, yesterday, the bright columns of the "Harvard Lampoon". A venture in a field of college literature never tried before is a daring thing indeed; but if success does not attend the efforts of the editors of the paper whose first issue appeared yesterday, it will not be because their efforts are undeserving of success. In spite of the prophecies of their far-seeing minds, we wish them heartily all manner of good fortune. Nor can we see any reason why the fate of their enterprise should be doubtful, unless, perchance, the standard they have set themselves will raise expectations which it will, be next to impossible to meet. It is to be regretted that they take it so much for granted that the papers already established will treat the new-comer harshly. We, certainly, are not so bowed down by years that we can consistently look upon every innovation in the literature of the College as a permanent evil. The field the "Lampoon" has chosen by no means encroaches 'upon our ground, even if it did, we should be rather glad than sorry, and we can assure its editors that any jokes at our expense will be taken always in the spirit they are made. Judging from its first number, the paper does not intend to be of as terrible a nature as its name would imply, and there is no reason why it should not accomplish much good here if the future numbers are up to the standard of the one we have seen. It is our sincere hope that many more numbers of the "Cambridge Charivarl" will be published, that the pictures of its succeeding issues will be as good as those of the first, that the wit will always to be fresh, and, finally, that the "Lampoon" will become one of the permanent institutions of the college. February 11, 1876.