"AN ORDINARY DECENT CITIZEN"

Dean Briggs friendly remarks in regard to athletics, especially his comments on the question of "hired athletes", are clarifying and much to the point. He indicates the absurdities of an attempt to bring a player here from another college, with the necessity of supporting him through a preliminary year, on the uncertain chance that he will be both eligible and desirable for the team. A man who could be secured on such a basis is not likely to show a character that would qualify him to represent the University.

To the general question of the athlete for whom outside support is provided, the Dean's report adds a shrewd reminder of a point that is often overlooked in the discussion. Many a student who needs financial aid and whose scholastic standing and personal character would fully entitle him to it, may also happen to be a superior athlete. Just because of this fact, and the fear of unjust suspicion, the University is embarrassed in giving him the aid which he was earned, and which he would quickly receive if he were not so unfortunate as to be a good football player or "crack" track-man.

We should he the last, as we have declared repeatedly, to want "paid" players in college sports. But, like Dean Briggs, we are eager-for the day when the athlete can be granted at least equal advantages with his fellows, without calling forth charges of professionalism. That day will come only when the very idea of professionalism is made unthinkable by the unanimous sentiment of students and alumni every where.