WORK OF BROOKS HOUSE REVIEWED

Have Had Many Prominent Speakers--Chapel Committee and Loan Library Submit Reports

The Social Service Committee, under the chairmanship of Corliss Lamont '24, has had an active year. About 250 men have been engaged in leading boys' clubs at settlement houses in Cambridge and Boston, each man meeting his club at least once a week. In order that more of this work might be done in Cambridge, an arrangement has been made with the Cambridge Y. M. C. A., which has charge of practically all of this work in the city, whereby the Association has undertaken to supply necessary leaders. About 20 men have been furnished so far this year. Nine free entertainments have been given by undergraduates at settlement houses, which have been very much appreciated. In November, old clothes were collected from students and 1072 articles, besides two tons of magazines, were secured. This collection was again this year in charge of Belden Wigglesworth '23. The old clothes and magazines were distributed to various charitable organizations at home and abroad, one case going to a Harvard man doing missionary, work in Mexico, and two cases to the Near East--at Robert College, Constantinople, and the American University at Beirut.

Welfare Committee Active

The best clothes were retained for students in the University. At Thanks-giving the Welfare Committee, under the chairmanship of Vinton Chapin '23, distributed twenty free dinners to poor families; and at Christmas the same committee gave a pair of shoes and two pairs of stockings to twenty poor boys. All of these cases were carefully investigated by the Cambridge Welfare Union. The distributing was done by students themselves, thus giving them a chance to observe social conditions. Many instances might be cited of the value of this work to the student. For example, one man who helped in the Christmas distribution has become interested in one of the families and is making regular visits. Last year, a senior was asked to do Juvenile Court work. As a result, he is this year devoting all his spare time to this work, while a graduate student, without compensation, and at considerable expense.

Loan Library Has Been Busy

The Text Book Loan Library has continued to be of great value to poor students. 1077 college books have so far been withdrawn this year at 5 cents each by 251 men and 194 law books at 25 cents each by 82 men. This work, together with the regular libraries of the Association, is in charge of F. A. O. Schwarz '24. Under his direction, the libraries are being thoroughly overhauled. In addition, a special collection is being made of books by and about Phillips Brooks.

Last summer the Harvard Mission, under the chairmanship of W. E. Stearns '23, supported a Harvard Daily Vacation Bible School on the grounds of the Grace Methodist Church, Cambridge, with R. P. Bridgman '18 as principal, and an enrollment of 123 students. In August the Mission sent David Hall '22 and R. B. Smith '22 to the American University, Beirut, Syria, as teachers. Their salaries are paid by the Mission. One Mission study group, led by Professor James J. Addison, was held in the fall, and at least one will be held this spring. On December 18, Dr. W. T. Grenfell addressed an audience of 250 people in Peabody Hall on his work in Labrador, illustrated by moving pictures. On December 1, Bishop Roots of China spoke in the Parlor on "Some Problems China is facing today." The Mission sent Christmas greeting cards to all Harvard graduates known, to be engaged in missionary work.

Chapel Committee Gives Statistics

The Chapel Committee, K. B. Lucas '23, chairman, has assisted the Board of Preachers in the conduct of the daily and Sunday Chapel services. On October 5th a special service for freshmen was held, with Dean W. L. Sperry as preacher. On November 20th, twenty-five students, mostly freshmen, attended a meeting in the interests of increasing the attendance at Chapel, held at the home of Professor E. C. Moore. The preachers so far this year have been especially notable, including President Lowell, Dean Sperry, Dean Brown, Dean Fenn, and Bishops Lawrence, Slattery, and Roots. The average daily student attendance for the months of October, November, and December was 110, 91, and 59 respectively, and for the Sunday services 298, 272, and 188. The Chapel Committee has had charge of the very important work of ushering at the Sunday services and also at the special Christmas services.

The Christian Association, of which P. E. Wilson '23, is president, has had supervision over the definitely religious work. Last June 33 men attended the Student Conference at Silver Bay-on-Lake-George. During the summer letters describing the activities of the Phillips Brooks House Association were sent to all incoming freshmen, and also a copy of the Harvard Handbook. The Information Bureau, with Lawrence Rose '23 as chairman, opened two weeks before the first day of college and assisted many students in finding rooms and in getting other information. Two lists with an aggregate of over 2000 single and double rooms were published, one in July and the other in September, and most of these rooms were inspected during the summer. The opening reception to freshmen was attended by 400 men. Eleven Monday night meetings for freshmen were held under the general leadership of Reverend Sidney Lovett, who addressed eight of them, the other three being addressed by Bishop Slattery, Dean Sperry, and Dean Brown. The attendance ranged from 60 to 200. The conduct of these meetings was in charge of a freshman committee with M. A. Cheek '26 as chairman. A committee of thirty upperclass men made personal calls on most of the freshmen between October and Christmas, the object being to explain the various religious and social service activities of the Association to the new men. Active cooperation has been had with the churches of Harvard Square. A religious census was taken at the time of registration and the results sent to all local churches. Lists of churches have been sent to all freshmen on denominational lists. A deputation consisting of P. E. Wilson '23, George Owen '23, Theodore Dreier '23, and J. E. Kennedy '23 visited Andover Academy on December 10th and spoke to 300 men. Other deputations are planned for the future. On December 14th Reverend James G. Gilkey addressed the Association on "The Profession of the Ministry." Two informal Bible study groups are now meeting weekly and others will be organized later. Besides the above activities, the Association, through its Foreign Student Committee, has been of great service to the approximately 175 foreign students in the University. Receptions have been held, many have been entertained in American homes, and advice has been given regarding studies.

The St. Paul's Society under the presidency of W. F. Lewis '23 gave a reception to freshmen in Christ Church on September 25th, with an attendance of 60 men. Bishop Roots spoke before the Society on November 2nd on "The Christian Movement in China." Special services are held every Sunday morning in Christ Church at 9 o'clock, followed by a discussion under the leadership of the Advisory Secretary, Reverend George L. Paine. About fifty men are engaged in social service work at the Episcopalian churches.

Discussion Group Organized

The St. Paul's Catholic Club, R. T. Murphy '23, President, held its first open meeting on October 3rd. A monthly discussion group, called the University Action, has been organized and has met three times with a good attendance. The spiritual activities of the club have centered in the St. Paul's Church and have been in charge of the Chaplain, Reverend John J. Ryan.

The Association has four societies in the graduate schools which now embrace every graduate department of the University. The Graduate Schools Society, Charles W. Eliot 2nd 3S.L.A., Chairman, conducted an Information Bureau for new students and gave special assistance in finding apartments for married students. The opening reception for new men was held on October 4th. The Society has conducted a religious discussion group meeting fortnightly under the leadership of Professor R. C. Cabot. The following men have addressed the Society so far this year: Professor John L. Lowes, Bishop L. H. Roots, Professor S. Ralph Harlow, and Professor Albert P. Fitch. A survey of living expenses for married students made by the Society has been of great value.

Law School Society Held-Reception

The Law School Society, J. M. Nicely 3L., Chairman, assisted at the Information Bureau and gave a reception to new law men on October 2nd. The following, men have already addressed the Society: Hon J. Weston Allen, Mr. William L. Marbury, Mr. Henry F. Hurlbut, and Mr. Henry H. Pierce. The Society is conducting the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, which gives free legal advice to poor people, and is also sending some men in to the Boston Legal Aid Society, 194 books have been withdrawn from the Law Loan Library by 82 men, at a cost of 25 cents per book.

Besides these societies there are organizations in both the Medical and Dental Schools. These societies carry on in their respective schools many of the activities conducted in Cambridge, such as the Information Bureau, Room Registry, Religious Discussion Groups, social service, and informal talks.

The Phillips Brooks House Class Day Spread was held last June, in charge of C. T. Barker '23, and was attended by 322 guests. The object of this spread is to furnish an opportunity for people who do not spread elsewhere to entertain their friends at a minimum of expense. Open House for men staying in Cambridge was held at Thanksgiving and Christmas with an attendance of 144 and 75 respectively. The House has been used constantly by student organizations. Up to January 1st, 162 meetings were held, with a total attendance of 9,604 people. One of the most successful meetings held was the service in commemoration of Phillips Brooks held on December 13th, the anniversary of his birth. Addresses were made by Professor Francis G. Peabody and Bishop Slattery, and favorite hymns of Bishop Brooks were sung.

Regular religious services are now held in the House by the Jews, Christian Scientists, Friends, members of the Church of Christ, Lutherans, and Student Volunteers.

The Princeton tennis schedule as announced last night includes a match with the combined Oxford-Cambridge team in July. The annual match with the University will be on May 19 and with Yale on June 2