MORE REFORM

Once more America is threatened with a new kind of prohibition, which may well be termed prohibition of misconception. Already the movies, in defense of the American farmer, have decided to abolish the "hayseed" from the screen. Farmers, hereafter, will be dressed in sane apparel. However this is merely the beginning.

The manufacturers of frankfurters, it seems, have before them the task of reforming some hundred million loyal American citizens. The term "hot dog", they claim, is misleading. Dog-meat may be all right in an emergency, but it is not to be inferred that the Coney Island frankfurter has any canine connection.

Since this latest "thou shalt not" has come into existence diligent search throughout the country has been made for a person who actually believes that the remains of some luckless Fido are actually incorporated in the familiar "wienie".

If the term "hot dog" is to meet the same fate of other recent, American institutions it is not safe to say what next one may expect. Before long, mayhap, the hungry student, entering Jimmie's or the Waldorf, may find at his shoulders a brass-buttoned upholder of the law listening intently to make sure that such a misleading and damaging term as "black and tan" is not employed. The logical sequence, of course will be the "blind puppie" where, for two or three times the ordinary price, one may still feel the thrill of quietly whispering to the man behind the counter: "One hot-dog plenty of mustard."