A PARTING CRY

Ever since his affair at Amherst Dr. Meiklejohn has figured prominently in the public eye, perhaps through the public eye, perhaps through the public taste for notoriety against which he is so firmly set. He has gained, apparently, the doubtful standing of a martyr to his idealism. Unfortunately he let his idealism get out of hand and his defense in the September Century Magazine--"To Whom Are We Responsible" is somewhat lame.

As though to follow up this unfortunate beginning, he took a parting shot at the present educational system just before leaving for the undiluted excellence of Europe. The first trouble is that the system is too much system. But then idealism usually finds method too cramping for its bright wings. In the second place he deplored the fact that all people were not educated in such a way that democracy and excellence would no longer be at variance as they now appear.

In this Dr. Meiklejohn's stand is well-taken. It is eminently desirable that people should preserve and not vulgarize excellence. But when there are over a hundred million people to uplift, there simply isn't enough education of this degree to go round. Educators would be glad of helpful suggestions but in these Dr. Meiklejohn has unfortunately been remote and vague. And the public as a rule, is only too indifferent to its faults; in fact it rather enjoys hearing what a boor it is.