"NOTHING BUT VICTORY"

When Ralph Horween's drop-kick in 1916 defeated Princeton by a scan three points, there were few who would have predicted that Harvard would wait seven years for a chance to celebrate another victory over the Tigers. But seven years made the victory on Saturday all the more magnificent; no words written in quiet retrospect can add luster to such a triumph. But every Harvard man who saw the game will long treasure the picture of a splendid eleven fighting as the under dog, outplaying itself, deter mined to accept nothing but victory" and in the end winning that success which every Harvard man demanded.

It is no injustice to Princeton to say that Harvard won because it wanted victory just a little bit mere than Princeton. The Crimson eleven, undeterred by injuries to some of its best men before and during the game, never let up for a moment and won the triumph it deserved. Its spirit was exemplified by the man who, removed in the last few minutes of play, collapsed as he left the field. That was the spirit not of one man but of the team which gained the first victory over Princeton since 1916. All Harvard has joined in honoring that team.

In the flush of victory it is perhaps easy to forget, for a moment, what lies ahead. Two successive defeats made most Harvard men anxious above all for victory over Princeton this year. But the Yale game is still to be played and Harvard will never forget that the Yale game is the last on the schedule. When November twenty-fourth arrives "there is almost no chance" as the Yale News remarks rather ironically "of Harvard's being indifferent". In the past Yale has not had to complain of Harvard indifference on the football field, and, in view of the records of the two teams, it is rather unlikely that the Crimson will be so confident after its victory on Saturday as to be "indifferent" this year.

In all the glory of one game and preparation for another, it is impossible to pass over the work of the Princeton team. Princeton earned again its reputation for courage and refusal to accept defeat until the final whistle few, and, in the last three minutes of play, showed an attack and spirit, undaunted by the shadow of defeat, and almost successful in clutching the prize of victory. Ink a game that was fierce and clean-cut from start to finish Princeton has a right to finish Princeton has a right to say of its team that its "head is bloody but unbowed".