RHINE COMMANDER TO SPEAK AT UNION

Made U. S. Representative on Rhineland Commission-Has Served in Mexico, the Philippines, and Alaska

Major General Henry Trueman Allen will speak at the Union this evening at 8 o'clock on the subject of "Europe as I Saw It" Only members of the Union may hear General Allen and these will be asked to present their membership cards at the door. Opportunity to join the Union will be given at the door to non members who wish to hear the General's discussion.

General Allen was commander-in-chief of the American forces on the Rhine frontier before their withdrawal two years ago, and later became the United States representative on the Inter-Allied Rhineland Commission. He saw active service in the St. Mihael and Argonne offensives during the war, and before our participation was on the Mexican border with General Pershing. When Pershing, at the bead of an expeditionary force, made an incursion into Mexican territory in 1916, General Allen was commander of the cavalry section of this force.

His earlier military experience has been wide and varied. In the summer of 1901, after he had been in the Philippines for two years after the Spanish American War, he organized the Philippine constabulary and acted as its chief for several years.

Many years before this he had served in an exploration expedition in Alaska Returning from the north he was for two years an instructor at West Point, 1888-90. The next eight years before the outbreak of the war with Spain, he acted as a military attache abroad, first in Russia, then in Germany. He held this latter post when he was ordered to the Philippines.

During the World War he received honors and medals from France, Belgium, Italy, and the United States. He is the author of "Reconnaissance of Copper. Tannuna, and Kuyukuk Rivers" and of "The Military System of Sweden."

General Allen is conducting a speaking four of the east, and spoke in Boston about a week ago. He is expected to arrive in Cambridge from New York today and will dine at the Union this evening.