STUDENT FRIENDSHIP FUND FINDS BIRTH

Princeton Well Under Way--Is Part of $176,000 to be Given by U. S. Colleges to Aid Fellow Students in Europe

A drive for $5000 for the Students Friendship Fund will be started at the University on January 7.

Practically all of the colleges in the East have already raised their quota for the fund. Yale's contribution of $5000 was collected recently, part of $22,000 to be used for charitable purposes.

The Student Council will announce on Monday, the appointment of a committee in charge of the drive, according to F. T. Baldwin '24, who has been named chairman.

Throughout Europe, and particularly in Russia, college men and women have been caught in the mill of political events. A recent report by John R. Mott, chairman of the European Student Relief, describes the appalling conditions under which education is carried on. It tells the old familiar stories of poverty, sickness, and suffering. The fact that the intellectual element, from which leadership must come in the future, is threatened adds force to the appeal of humanity alone. The need for doctors, engineers, and all kinds of professional men becomes greater and greater, and without help from America, a serious shortage of educated men and women will soon be added to Europe's other troubles.