FOUR-OARED CREWS TO REPLACE EIGHTS

Will Concentrate on Late Arrivals to Establish New Stroke Before Winter Rowing--Lightweights Active

Nearly a month's extra practice is the prospect which, due to the mild weather, Coach Stevens and his staff have before them. In former years the river has usually been rendered unnavigable by cold weather early in November, but owing to the exceptionally warm stretch of the past two weeks there is now every prospect of continued work on the water up to the Christmas holidays.

The first contingent of football men were installed early this week when J. W. Adie '26, A. L. Hobson '24, and C. J. Hubbard Jr. '24 reported for practice. Thus re-enforced, a new first eight was sent out on Monday, seated as follows:

Bow, W. L. Boyden '25; 2, W. E. Stilwell '25; 3, T. L. Eliot '25; 4, F. P. Weymer '26; 5, A. L. Hobson '24; 6, R. C. Storey Jr. '24; 7, B. McK. Henry '24; stroke, J. W. Adie '26; cox, B. H. Burnham '24.

This, however, was the last time that a University eight will go out this fall. From now on Coach Stevens intends to deal entirely with four-oared crews as being more workable and better suited to the more informal hours of late autumn work. The daily schedule now calls for five four-oared combinations, the football men being bunched in one so that attention may be better concentrated on the particular faults which they may show as a result of their lack of previous training in the Stevens stroke.

Still another reason for the use of the four-oar unit is the fact that, while the movements are of course identical with those employed in an eight, the difficulty of each separate element of the stroke is increased to a notable extent. A four is rigged lower and so requires finer manipulation of the oar to free it from the water at the finish. A four is harder to propel than an eight. And most important of all, the problem of balance, with only two oars on a side, is magnified beyond all proportion to that required in an eight. By accustoming the man to a more difficult situation in preparation, the final action will seem easier by contrast.

Nor have the 150-pound and Freshman squads been idle. Coach Newell has been giving daily instruction to four eight-oared crews, while one 1927 crew, under. Coach Shaw, has been going on the river regularly since the Yale game. The Freshman Squad at present is equipped with a wealth of candidates, but heavy material is decidedly lacking,