LIBERALS TAKE STAND AGAINST RESTRICTION

VOTE IN FAVOR OF RESOLUTION IS 28 TO 7

In view of the discussion that has lately been aroused by suggestions to restrict admission to the University, a meeting of the Liberal Club was recently held to consider whether this was the kind of question on which the club wished to take a stand. Hitherto the Liberal Club has endorsed no policy save that of free speech. At this meeting, however, the club adopted the following resolution by a vote of 28 to 7:

"Resolved: That in the opinion of the Student Liberal Club of Harvard University any limitations which may be placed upon admission to Harvard University should not be based upon the race or religion of the applicants for admission."

The following notice had been sent to each member of the club five days previous to the meeting at which the above resolution was adopted: "February 28, 1923. "Dear Sir:--

"A business meeting to discuss and possibly decide the club's relation to the racial situation at Harvard at 8 o'clock, Monday evening, March 5. As a vote determining this position may be taken, it is important that all members be present.   "Oliver Cope, President."

The meeting at which the above resolution was adopted was attended by most of the prominent and active members, so that the vote taken was as representative as any vote usually taken in similar organizations. In the interest of fair play, those who were opposed to the resolution were invited to present a minority report, which is given below:

"The undersigned members of the Liberal Club feel that it is their duty to point out that the resolution passed at the business meeting on March 5 was not particularly significant, since, out of a membership of ninety, only thirty-five voted on this question.

"We feel that the Liberal Club 'whose animating ideal shall be the open mind' should not take a stand on a subject the factors of which are so complex that complete or even substantial agreement becomes impossible.

"We think that we ourselves can express no adequate opinion on the regulation of admission to Harvard College until we have before us the report of the select committee investigating the subject.

"Opposing the taking of any official club point of view, under these circumstances, we voted against the resolution.   "G. E. Barton '25."   "B. G. Bechhoefer '25."   "P. B. Ferguson '23."   "Phillip Walker '25."   "R. C. Weinberg '23."   "E. G. Wesson '25."   "C. K. Zipf '23."

The annual business meeting for the election of the club officers for the coming year will be held this evening at 6.30 o'clock in the club house. The meeting is open only to full members.