CRIMSON REPRESENTATIVES TO FENCE IN NEW YORK

ARMY, NAVY, AND YALE ARE CHIEF CONTENDERS FOR TITLE

The University fencing team, which left yesterday afternoon to participate in the intercollegiate tournament at the Hotel Astor, New York, will have its first matches today. J. K. Watson '23 and C. J. Shearn Jr. '23 will be in action this afternoon, while tonight Captain E. H. Lane '24, E. L. Lane '24, R. Fleer '24, and J. S. Sharp '24 will take part in the foils. Their opponents will be decided upon this morning when a draw is made at a meeting of the Intercollegiate Fencing Association. After a series of fencing contests all day tomorrow, the finals will be held in the evening.

The Crimson team has some chance of winning the title, but it will encounter stiff opposition, especially from the Army, the Navy, and Yale. In comparatively recent contests, the Army won from the University 6-3; but lost to Yale 10-7. The Navy, on the other hand, defeated Yale. The Blue fencers also defeated the Crimson last week by an 8-5 score. There will be many of the country's best college fencers at the meet, including Hertzberg of Dartmouth, Davenport and Huntington of Yale, and E. H. Lane '24 and E. L. Lane '24 of Harvard. Hertzberg, who had never been defeated by any of the University fencers for four years, finally succumbed this season to both E. H. Lane '24 and E. L. Lane '24. Davenport and Huntington of Yale are perhaps the most dangerous of all, the former having won 18 out of 22 matches with the foils and 7 out of 10 with the sabres this season.

The Clemens Medal Novice Tournament is arranged for this morning at the Hotel Astor, the University being represented by H. Finney Jr. '26, A. R. Allen '26, and N. Morris '26. Dr. Clemens, who is an officer of the American Amateur Fencing League, gives a medal every year to the winner. Only those who have neither fenced in any intercollegiate meet, nor have won any trophies in sectional or national championships are eligible. The victor last year was Barrett, now a member of the Columbia team, while the year before, J. H. Watson '23 of the University was the novice champion.