IN DARKEST AFRICA

When the excavator's shovel can unearth a piece of tapestry or a gold cup which so catches the popular fancy that the styles of the world are changed, the less spectacular work of men like Professor George A. Reisner is temporarily overshadowed. No brilliant treasures were found in the pilfered tombs unearthed by the expedition from this University and the Boston Museum, and the accident of publicity did not popularize their work. Yet their discoveries add whole new chapters to Ethiopian history which will be read when Tut-ankh-Amen has dropped to the footnotes.

Professor Reisner, in finding an Ethiopian script not before known to have existed, and in discovering such facts as that the Ethiopian rulers were all men contrary to the current beliefs has made himself an authority who must be consulted by all students of ancient African history. Tea-table tete-a-tetes may gossip of the Valley of the Kings, but scholars in universities from Heidelberg to California will speak with gratitude of the work in Ethiopia.