MASSACHUSETTS CAN NOT EVADE PROHIBITION LAW

Hon. W. D. Upshaw, Southern Congressman, Declares Commonwealth One of Wettest of the Forty-Eight States

"The idea that Massachusetts can by a referendum withdraw from the dry union of the United States is preposterous, for it can no more secede from its duties under the constitution, than could the southern states in 1661," declared Representative W. D. Upshaw of Georgia in an interview given to a CRIMSON reporter. Mr. Upshaw, who for many years has been an ardent supporter of prohibition in the United States, a short time ago came into prominence by his revelations concerning the manner in which public officials in Washington violated the Eighteenth Amendment.

"In the South, the Civil War showed the people that states rights are not supreme," said Mr. Upshaw, "and, although a whole generation passed before the rancor completely died out of their minds, the secessionists there learned their bitter lesson well and are now standing firmly behind the Federal Government and the Constitution of the United States. If the were not so foolish it would appear highly amusing to see Massachusetts, one of the leaders both in the establishing and the holding together of the Union, now by an act of her legislature, and with the approval of her public officials, who when they were elected swore an oath to support loyally the Constitution, attempting to set aside a provision duly incorporated into the supreme law of the land."

"In Massachusetts," the Congressman continued, "people, judging from the conditions around them say that nobody desires nor intends to support the enforcement of prohibition. But these narrow observers forget that Massachusetts is among the wettest, of the forty-eight states, and that beyond its limits the great majority of the country is really endorsing the law, and will continue to favor and uphold it as long as it is on the statute books, which will be until the day after the Judgment".

Explains His Washington Statement

"By some people," Mr. Upshaw declared in commenting upon his accusations concerning law-breaking among public officials in the national capital, "my words were interpreted as an indictment of the entire staff of municipal and federal officers in Washington. I believe, however, that the large majority of my colleagues steadfastly practice the prohibition which their votes and public actions profess.