PRESCRIBED MILITARY TRAINING

General Pershing's comments, published in the CRIMSON, on the work of the R. O. T. C. in the colleges are valuable chiefly as an illustration of the purely professional point of view toward military activities. Last year in a special article for the CRIMSON, General Edwards sounded the call to arms oy insisting that no college man could "maintain his self-respect" if he failed actively to prepare for the "next war" and by denouncing as "soft, mushy propaganda" the sentiment which put the ideal of peace above any other. General Pershing seems of somewhat the same opinion but has been more guarded in proposing that a "daily routine of practical exercises . . . should be included in all colleges."

It is perhaps unfortunate but certainly perfectly natural that military leaders should favor universal military training for college men. While human nature remains as it is and while such organizations as the League of Nations remain only a hope at best, there may be some excuse for active preparedness in Europe, however much such preparedness may act as an incentive to war. But with the United States situated as it is, it is difficult to see how any similar excuse can exist in this country. Geographically we are free from any sudden attack; according to present indications we are not likely to throw ourselves at the first opportunity into possible European conflicts; while if preparedness is needed for imperialistic reasons in the Caribbean or in South America, it has not even the excuse of necessity to defend it. Harvard has done well to offer Military Science in elective courses and to support an R. O. T. C. unit; to go beyond this would be contrary to the Harvard tradition of elective courses and would be ridiculous were it not inconceivable.

It is perfectly natural, as we have said, that General Pershing and General Edwards should believe in and should advocate universal military training for the colleges. It is less easy to appreciate very highly some of their arguments. Speaking of the R. O. T. C. General Pershing is reported to have said--"It is considered by educators as a very definite means of maintaining discipline in the various colleges . . . Where these units exist." Western Reserve with its nine students in the hands of the police after a snake dance and Yale with its mass probation as the result of a Freshman dining hall riot, may be forced to adopt such a method; perhaps Harvard in its provincialism may be able to avoid accepting it for some years to come.

The R. O. T. G. unit and Military Science courses are valuable opportunities and as such deserve the support of the undergraduate body. It is to be hoped that the day on which they become more than valuable opportunities is far distant.