SAYSILENINE'S PAST MAY GUARD RUSSIA'S FUTURE

"NAME WILL FIGURE LARGELY IN PAGES OF HISTORY"

The memory of Nicolai Lenine may continue to control the destiny of the Russian Soviet Republic or quarrels among her new leaders may destroy the strength of that influence: these possibilities were mentioned by Professor A. N. Holcombe '06 last night when asked to comment on Moscow dispatches carried in the evening papers reporting the death of Russia's Red premier.

Professor Holcombe, in explaining the strength of Lenine's influence, said: "Nicolai Lenine was Russia's strong man. Though incapacitated for the last two years from taking an active part in public affairs, his influence has been very great, and doubtless the influence of his known or supposed opinions will continue to be very great, so long as the Communist party remains in power.

Doctrinaire Became Opportunist

"Originally a doctrinaire Marxian Socialist of the most uncompromising type, his practical experience taught him more rapidly than most of his associates the necessity of an opportunistic policy. He was a leader in the adoption of the new economic policy by which the restoration of the capitalistic system was begun, and his whole course showed a remarkable grasp of the realities of practical politics, and a capacity for leadership.

"It is natural to measure him by other great revolutionary leaders. None of these whose names come first to mind can be easily compared to him. Both Robespierre and Cromwell had careers which in certain respects bear striking resemblances to that of Lenine, but the differences are even more significant. Cromwell's career offers perhaps a closer parallel than that of Robespierre.

Memory Will be Long Cherished

"Since Lenine himself acknowledged the failure of his original economic policy, it is not necessary to discuss it. But there can be no doubt that Lenine's name is destined to figure largely on the pages of the future historians of our time, and that the consequences of his achievements will be felt, and his memory cherished, long after men now more highly esteemed in the western world have been forgotten."

In concluding, Professor Holcombe expressed his belief that the Revolution, under Lenine's leadership, will prove to have been beneficial to Russia in the long run, in spite of its great injustices in particular cases.